Summers are arduous to deal with, and the prospect of a refreshing drink is just what we need to beat the heat. But what if things could be made just a little bit better, and there was a possibility of turning a tiring, busy day into a chill, buzzy day?
It could be as simple as throwing a party that becomes the highlight of the summer; or even a Friday night libation with your gang that requires a ton of ideas for some deliciously refreshing summer cocktails! Now at some point, vodka cocktails do have to be considered overdone, and the perfect alternative is waiting to be experimented with.
Its Whiskey, the most qualified ingredient to add to turn your summer blues into a splash of colors. Whether its Irish Whiskey, or Bourbon Whiskey, we are bringing you a list of some easy to whip, and even easier to devour whiskey cocktails so that you are better equipped to beat the heat in style.
1. Jameson Ginger Lime
Perhaps the simplest cocktail recipe out there, and most definitely the most delicious, the Jameson Ginger Lime is exactly what its name is. Oh and ICE.
- Add loads of ice to a highball glass, and pour 60ml Jameson Irish Whiskey
- Squeeze a quarter slice of lemon and add ginger ale until the glass is full
- Stir the glass and add a lemon wedge to garnish and voila! Your Jameson Ginger Lime is ready to sip on.
2. Blackberry Whiskey Lemonade
This cool drink is a must for people who love tangy drinks and mason jars! To prepare the Blackberry Whiskey Lemonade, you will need the following ingredients;
Blackberry Syrup, Lemon Juice, Bourbon Whiskey – preferably Woodford Reserve, and Tonic Water.
- Mix the Blackberry Syrup, Lemon Juice, and Whiskey into a shaker and shake well.
- Pour into a glass over ice
- Add Tonic Water and stir well. Add a sprig of rosemary to garnish.
3. Iced Coffee
If you ever need a summer ‘pick me up’ drink, the Irish Coffee is as perfect as things can get. Works best with Jameson Irish Whiskey, and is an absolute delight for a lazy, hot summer evening. The ingredients you will need for the Irish Coffee are; Jameson Irish Whiskey, Kahlua Cream, Chilled Espresso shot and sugar syrup.
- Add all the ingredients into a shaker with loads of ice and shake well.
- Pour into a glass over a couple of ice cubes and garnish with couple mint leaves (optional).
4. Bourbon Rickey
The Bourbon Rickey is as simple as Bourbon cocktails get, and its origins have been teased to have been thought of by a really lazy bartender because the three things you need to make a Bourbon Rickey are; Bourbon – preferably Maker’s Mark Whisky, Soda and Lime.
- Squeeze the Lime into a glass and add a few cubes of ice.
- Pour 30ml/60ml of Bourbon depending on how strong you like your drinks.
- Add Soda and stir, and your Bourbon Rickey is ready.
5. The Penicillin
A modern classic, the Penicillin is a refreshing drink no matter the time or the place. It’s a spicy drink with just a hint of gingery bite and is soothing to say the least. To make the Penicillin, you need to have Blended Scotch – preferably Ballantine’s Finest, a few slices of Ginger, Lime, Honey Syrup and candied Ginger.
- Add the slices of Ginger, Lime, ice and honey syrup and shake well
- Strain the concoction into a glass filled with ice.
- Add 30ml/60ml of Ballantine’s Finest depending on how you like your drink, and add candied ginger on top for garnish.
- Enjoy the Penicillin
6. Mint Julep
Another classic Bourbon cocktail, the Mint Julep is another ‘3 ingredients’ special that can put a surprisingly tangy spin into your summertime hangout sessions. For a Mint Julep, you will need; Bourbon Whiskey – preferably the Wild Turkey 101, Syrup and Mint leaves.
- Add a few mint leaves and syrup into a shaker and crush the mint leaves well.
- Pour the mixture into a glass packed with ice and stir well.
- Garnish the drink with mint leaves and enjoy your Mint Julep.
7. The Old Fashioned
The Old Fashioned is named perfectly since its preparation and taste both lean towards adding a flavor to the Bourbon or Blended Scotch whiskey, and not adding a bit of Bourbon or Blended Scotch whiskey to a flavor. To prepare the Old Fashioned, you will need the following; Blended Scotch whiskey – Ballantine’s Finest, Bitters, Sugar cubes and Orange Peel.
- Add the sugar cube and bitters into a shaker, and crush them together.
- Then add a large ice cube into the mixture, and add Ballantine’s Finest 30ml/60ml depending on your preference.
- Pour the mixture into a glass filled with ice and add an Orange peel to garnish.
8. Whiskey Smash
The Whiskey Smash has been referred to as the Mint Julep’s cousin in the past, and there is some truth to it. Both drinks are fairly similar in nature but the Whiskey Smash can be prepared with Irish Whiskey to achieve a smooth, refreshing drink. You will need the following ingredients to prepare the Whiskey Smash; Irish Whiskey – preferably Jameson Irish Whiskey, Lemon Juice, Mint Leaves, syrup and Ice.
- Crush the mint leaves, with lemon, syrup and ice into a crusher.
- Add Jameson Irish Whiskey to the mixture and shake well.
- Strain and pour into a glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a few mint leaves and enjoy the Whiskey Smash.
Have a great summer with these refreshing summer cocktails, and surprise your guests with the many different applications of whiskey in a cocktail.